Re: [Tigers] Which header?

To: "Chris Richards" <cjrichardsauto@sbcglobal.net>, "Buck Trippel"
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Which header?
From: "Dave Munroe" <dave@munroe.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 11:28:14 -0300
Chris:

I have Canons on my Mk1A (I understand these were marketed by several
different firms back in the day under different brands including JC Whitney)
and they fit well without modification.

They also allow fitment of aftermarket as well as stock remote filter
set-ups, and I currently am running a filter directly off the block. (no
remote). Mine are at least 40 years old and counting....

However, I had my engine removed, some internal mods done and replaced this
past spring, and the guy who re-installed the engine used two manifold
gaskets on each side for some unknown reason, and they did then interfere
with the engine mount on the driver's side. I adjusted the mount as much as
possible within the limits of the bolt hole clearances, and reduced the
length of the topmost mount-to-fender bolt, and the problem went away.

I like 'em, they look very cool with the equal length pipes, and they make
pretty good power (317hp and 450 ft lb torque on my bored and stroked 331. I
would likely buy a new set if they became available, as mine are getting
pretty grubby, and the flange on cyl #4 pipe has developed a small leak.

Dave
photo available e-mail off line