[Tigers] Exhaust Smell

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Exhaust Smell
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 13:44:11 -0400
I put the hard top on the Tiger last weekend, then was fooling around in
the cellar for a couple minutes.  When I saw something on the cellar
wall, one of those little light bulbs appeared above my head.

So half an hour later I'm driving the Tiger around the area with a
Carbon Monoxide detector as a passenger.  Mine has a little LCD readout
on it to report the concentration of CO.  I tried various combinations
of windows open and closed, vents open and closed, etc.  The readout
stayed at zero, maybe hitting 3 ppm once, but other than that, zero.
There was no smell other than that of the normal interior fragrances.

Back home, I parked in the yard, the car idling while I fiddled with
stuff in the cubby for a minute.  Almost the same time I noticed the
exhaust smell, the CO detector went off.  Damn, that thing is loud in a
closed car.

OK, my trunk gasket is relatively new, and it passed the "dollar bill"
test all around.  The trunk floor is good, the only holes being the
drains under the tanks.  It is sealed around the jack points.  The
exhaust system is like new, no rust at all.  I started the Tiger outside
this morning, quite chilly here in Massachusetts, and while I got
visible vapor as the exhaust hit the cool air at the rear, there
appeared to be no leaks.  The top seals pretty good, relatively new
gaskets on that, too.  The firewall holes are all plugged.

So where else could the fumes be getting in?  I seem to remember mention
years back about a sneak path through the body, over the rear axel
somewhere.  Could this be my problem?

Stu