Re: [Tigers] Exhaust Smell

To: "'Stu Brennan'" <stubrennan@comcast.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Exhaust Smell
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Nov 2010 15:39:52 -0400
Stu
        2 areas to look at that I have yet to investigate:
The trunk lock seal is a very loose fit on my Tiger and I can easily move a
.065" drill around the lock area so it could leak there around the lock,
around the edge of the seal or both.

There are 2 large seals at the rear bumper mount that seals the outside
valance to the inside of the trunk.

There are numerous other seals at the rear that could be cracked or leaking.
I'm not sure how to thoroughly check for leaks at the trunk other than
pressurizing the trunk or doing a smoke test to find leaks.

I found this in a email from Theo Smit some time ago:

Tom Hall also mentioned at some point that there is a ventilation (?) hole
or sheetmetal gap on each side of the car, from under the rear-seat shelf to
the rear quarterpanel area (in front of the rear wheels). If this is open,
then you can definitely suck all kinds of nasty fumes in.

Best regards,
Theo

This is one of those problems that can be difficult to isolate due to the
multitude of possibilities.   I can only suggest that you don't rule out any
possible cause without completely checking first.

Ron Fraser