Re: [Tigers] Inconsistent idling

To: "'James Lindner'" <jliny5@cox.net>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Inconsistent idling
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 19:51:10 -0500
Jim
        First step is to check if the accelerator linkage has hung up
somehow when it goes to high idle after warm up.
There are numerous reasons why the linkage may not be returning correctly.
I had the carpet catch the pedal lever once and I had a poor alignment of
the linkage another time.  Just go through the whole system in case there is
a combination of problems if the linkage is the problem.  Also make sure the
carb is off any high idle position.

2nd
        There is a possibility that the distributor is not returning to the
base setting.   The stock distributor on your 260 would be an early style
distributor and there are many wear points in the advance mechanism.  An
early style distributor has an oil port and a round lower body.  Casting #
B9AF-12131-B near the coil wire.
        I worked on one early style distributor that was worn and it
sometimes returned to base timing sometimes not.  It was variable where the
timing would return to and the idle speed was variable also.  You can check
that with a timing light after the engine is warm and you just move the
throttle a few times while watching the base timing position.

3rd
        A vacuum leak could cause this but I would think it would be more
constant.  Always worth looking at vacuum lines for a cracks or splits just
in case.

Ron Fraser