Re: [Tigers] making air cleaner more theft proof

To: <drmayf@mayfco.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] making air cleaner more theft proof
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 11:45:08 -0500
Rootes Parts List calls out a 1/4" nut UNC with a 1/4" plain washer.

        Theft is always difficult to totally defend against.   If they want
it they will find a way to take it.

A security fastener will work but there are tool kits dedicated to security
fasteners.  I have a couple of kits for a few security fasteners used on
today's cars.   You would probably need something like a lug nut lock and
key to be totally secure.

You could use the original nut to slow them down some.
You could etch or engrave your vin number into the top and bottom plates of
your air cleaner for ID purposes.
You could make your own 1 off security fastener and 1 off removal tool.

The biggest problem is the size, 1/4" bolt.  Almost any fastener you install
can be turned by hand or the bolt will turn out of the carb.  You need to
consider the whole system and experiment with solutions until one meets your
satisfaction.

A closed bonnet, locked doors and trunk is my method when I walk away from
my Tiger at events.

Ron Fraser