Re: [Tigers] Building a street 289

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Building a street 289
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2011 16:24:48 -0800
James, I echo that sentiment.  My thought would be to build a 331 CID
motor using the 3.25 inch stroke, and the appropriate rods and pistons.
Kits are available.  Make the compression ratio around 9.8 or so.  And
yes, get the best flowing heads you can for the money you wist to
spend.  I think there are some good "as cast" heads not that would do
provided they have big valves.   I would use  an aftermarket EFI system
if possible.  The kind that has a mass air flow meter. Once tuned that
practically eliminates any future tuning issues.  A carb will make as
much power, but is not as drivable.

remember also that if you plan on driving down the road at the same
speeds you drive now, the hp requirements will be the same at those
speeds.  You can have a 600 hp motor but at 70 mph the Tiger requires
maybe 40 hp to go that fast.  Excess hp is then useful for spirited
driving.

And remember, if you go fast, you gotta still stop maybe even faster. So
makes the brakes as important in your rebuild as the motor and trans and
diff.

Then enjoy that puppy..

mayf