Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission

To: Al Fudge <allfudge1635@gmail.com>, Tiger's Den
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Ford / Mazda 5speed transmission
From: Steve Laifman <slaifman@socal.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 18:19:00 -0800
While I am no expert on the Mazda, I do have a great GEAR RATIO
Transmission application that runs on Excel.  AND you don't even have to
buy Excel.  A ink to a free Excel Reader is included.

This calculator was provided by Bob Hokanson for Tiger users, and
resides on TigersUnited.com (hot link below).  It allows calculation of
speed vs rpm for any ratios that interest you in the transmission, rear
end, tire/size, rpm, etc.  Can even be "shifted" and speed red with rpm
selected in every gear ratio.

Thanks to Bob, we all have a wonderful tool to use, with built in
selections for most applications.  Including imaginary ones you would
like to see.

Look at it, and try it out.  Let the List know if you find it applicable
and useful.

http://www.tigersunited.com/techtips/HokansonGearSpeedXL/pt-HokansonGearSpeedXL.asp

BTW: I swapped the original tranny for a Mk II version and ratios, and
find it very satisfactory.  Just ignore what you've heard about "wide
ratio" and "close ratio" and go by the results that now can be easily
calculated and changed.

Good luck,

Steve
B94722289