Re: [Tigers] Attaching a Rollbar

To: "chris@cthompson.net" <chris@cthompson.net>, Allan Ballard
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Attaching a Rollbar
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 16:10:09 -0500
The main thing with a  bolt-in bar is to have sufficiently large backup plates
on the other side of the sheetmetal. The SCCA (and every other sanctioning
body) has guidelines for this.

I had a main hoop bent up by a local racing fab shop with longer-than-required
ends, and then trimmed it so it would just barely fit under the soft top. As
it turns out, it should also clear the hardtop by about 1/8" although that
turned out to be more luck than good planning... if I'd done that properly I
would have positioned the main hoop about 1/4" further forward.

Still, if you are tall, then 'as high as the roof will allow' may not be
sufficient, given a minimum requirement for clearance between the top of your
helmet and the line between the windshield and the bar. If this is the case
then lowering the seat as much as possible will help this, as well as usefully
lowering the CG of the car.

Cheers,
Theo