Re: [Tigers] that wonderful vintage hammer sound.

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] that wonderful vintage hammer sound.
From: "Rense, Mark (GE, Appl & Light)" <mark.rense@ge.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 16:27:35 -0400
Owain, Your new engine will sound different for several reasons. The old
302 had the 260/289 firing order, the 5.0 engines (roller cam) switched
to the 351 firing order. If you listen to a modern Mustang your new
engine's exhaust cadence will sound like that, not bad, just different.
I personally prefer the older firing order sound, especially through a
nice set of headers and 2.5" pipes, but then again that's what I grew up
hearing.

Also, the solid lifter engines always seemed to have a sharper exhaust
"crack" to them verses hydraulic lifters, HOWEVER, since the ramp speeds
of a modern roller cam are so much faster than the old flat tappets I
suspect you will not miss much there. All depends on the cam you chose.

Lastly, the addition of those 45 extra cubic inches will only enhance
the decibel level of each exhaust pulse, this will certainly compensate
for any other deviations in sound quality.

I have built several engines in the last six years, all of them based on
289 blocks, some stock stroke, some fully stroked. Trust me when I say
that when your new stroker sweeps past 6 grand for the first time and
you bang the next gear, you WILL achieve maximum wood!

Bugz