Re: [Tigers] that wonderful vintage hammer sound.

To: clarkwgriswold2nd@gmail.com, dave@munroe.ca, owain.lloyd@gmail.com,
Subject: Re: [Tigers] that wonderful vintage hammer sound.
From: rab65tiger@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Mar 2011 18:48:55 -0400
 A few mechanical differences for sure.  Solid lifter flat tappet cams have a
"clackety" sound associated with there design.  Also, the new roller cams use
the HO firing order which is "smoother" and supposed create less stress on
block, and slightly more power.  A crossover pipe also should mellow the
sound.  Comp cams has their hydraulic flat tappet "nostalgia" hipo cam,
supposed have the idle of the solid hipo cam and a little better power.  Then
there are the new "Thumper" roller cams designed for a muscle car idle, and
real world driving.  Also, the compression ratio affects the volume.  But
nothing like reduced emissions, less heat created, smooth operation, less
maintenance and more power with the more modern roller lifter and rocker motor
with performance aftermarket heads.

I bench build these in my head often, hopefully soon I get it done.

Randy B