Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question

To: LIST TIGER <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Fuel pump question
From: Allan Ballard <allanballard@att.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 05:04:41 -0400
Thanks folks.

I should find out more, this morning.  At least I feel better prepared to deal
with this.

Once before at that shop a mechanic left the ignition switch on and the
battery was almost dead when I arrived  so
I wonder, why no mention of a dead battery this time.

I further wonder whether the pump is really shorted to "on,' and working with
the ignition switch off.  Pouring in a gallon of gas should test that
"theory."

I'm curious as well regarding how long would it take to push any significant
volume through the system, in this manner.

OTOH Murphy's Law being always in effect...

Allan Ballard
Mk1a Tiger
SIV Alpine

On Apr 19, 2011, at 11:55 PM, awtiger wrote:

> Something doesn't sound right here, Allan.  Under normal circumstances, that
couldn't happen, and by "normal circumstances," I mean someone paying
attention to what they are doing.  I admittedly don't have any experience with
an Edelbrock carb, but I'm sure that they're not too much different than a
Holley.  For a Holley to flood like that, the needle and seat would have to be
stuck wide open and, if anyone were watching what they were doing, they'd see
gas bubbling up out of the float bowl vent tubes.  Sure, I suppose some of the
gas would run down the throat of the carb, but it would also be running over
the top of the carb and down into the valleys on top of the intake.  Did your
engine builder just start the engine, let it run and walk away and give it no
supervision whatsoever???

> The other point of interest is if it were flowing that much fuel into the
engine, there's no way it would idle at all.  Are they saying that it did this
while it was running or after they shut it off?  Did they not check the oil
level of the motor after initial start-up???  The bottom line is that the pump
would continue to keep pressure on the system, provided that power was still
going to it after the engine was shut off.  However, the needle and seat is
what shuts the fuel flow off to the motor when the bowls fill. I'd be very
hard pressed to believe that no one either saw the fuel spilling out of the
vent tubes or at least smelled it.  Are the folks doing your rebuild
reputable?  Do they have Ford V8 experience?  Personally, I think there's more
to this than what they are telling you.