Re: [Tigers] 260 versus 302 Starter

To: "Brian Glenn" <ora_archy@yahoo.com>, <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 260 versus 302 Starter
From: "James Lindner" <jliny5@cox.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 21:14:49 -0400
Brian

Here is the text from an email I sent to the list back last fall. I was
having problems with my original starter on my Mk1, so I switched to the one
mentioned below.

After some problems this summer, I had my starter replaced with a more
current high torque Ford PMGR starter (Napa Part # 4N9240...$144)) based
upon some recommendations from this List. It is the same starter as for the
early 90s Mustang 302. In addition to being more efficient it is smaller
thereby allowing for some room between the exhaust header and the starter,
which I was lead to believe would help keep down the heat.

Other than some adjustments to the wiring to accomodate the solenoid built
right onto the starter, it was a perfect fit. If you are interested I can
forward a wiring diagram that Tom Parker provided me. I believe Tom also has
this starter installed.

Hope this helps.

Jim