Re: [Tigers] Speaking of Vapor Lock...

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Speaking of Vapor Lock...
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 20:05:43 -0700
Interesting. Have owned my MK I (not MKIA) for a long long time and
never had a vapor lock. Had the pump quit a time or two and prompt
whapping it with a small hammer like object would start it going again
until I could get to a replacement part.  Vapor lock occurs between the
pump and tank.  In the old mechanical pump system it was fairly common
because the pump was generally higher than the tank outlet and the pump
had to lift the fuel with a small vacuum. This slightly lowed fuel feed
pressure and hot gasoline would cause the fuel to tun to vapor. The pump
would not pump the vapor and so the float bowls run dry.  Had to wait
until the fuel cooled enough to return to a liquid and then a small
amount of cranking usually filled the bowl and the car started.  Most
electric pumps are put close to the tank and the fuel  has no heat
source in that area to heat it up.  And the fuel has only a short
distance to the pump so the pump is easily supplied.  The Facet pump is
a continous duty type as I recall (I now have one on my car) and it runs
all the time.  Not sure how that would affect the pump feed though. If
the pump is getting fuel, t will pump fuel forward.  So, perhaps you
have another issue?  Like perhaps the line to pump is undersized, or
slightly plugged.   It would be interesting to see the fuel line temps
when it is running and not pumping. Do you have a laser temp reader? Do
that in a few places and see what is going on?

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile