[Tigers] Brake question

To: <Tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] Brake question
From: "Stu Brennan" <stubrennan@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 20:15:29 -0400
So I'm just finishing up a brake job on the Tiger.  All new rubber bits
in the master, slaves and calipers.  I got it all back together and
bled, no leaks yet.  I had to grind down the sides of the pads until
they fit loosely in the calipers. No surprise there, I've had to do this
on my Subaru, the Buick, etc..  So I know the pads are free vs the
calipers.  But there is still significant drag on the disks when the
brakes are off.  The culprits seem to be the outer seals on the pistons.
They bulge up enough that they are pushing on the new pads, causing the
drag.  The drag is high enough that I suspect that I won't get out of
town before the disks are glowing red.

Has anyone else encountered this?  Does it go away quickly once they
heat up the first time?  Has anyone encountered pads that are too thick?
Any ideas out there?  I'll probably drive it for the first time with the
new brakes tomorrow night or Saturday, with a show to go to Sunday...
And I'd hate to put the old pads back in.

Stu

tigers@autox.team.net