Re: [Tigers] Headlamps - High Output Halogen Sealed Beams

To: Tiger's List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Headlamps - High Output Halogen Sealed Beams
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 11:18:49 -0600
I have seen many a replaceable-halogen-lamp headlight with rust at the bottom
of the reflector, and even occasionally some with water sloshing in the lamp.
Mostly on Carellos, so I always associated reflector deterioration with that
brand and not with the type of light. I've had my Hellas on the Tiger for
about 14 years now and I don't see any significant deterioration in the
reflector surface. Maybe it has to do with the generally dry air here and the
fact I don't often drive the Tiger at night...

I use Nighthawk bulbs on my daily drivers (Echo and Tundra) and they do work
well, but they're not sealed beams. The main deterioration issue there is
that, as Mark L notes, the lens surface gets sandblasted and eventually
yellows due to UV exposure. If I had time, I'd rework them to use 7" or 5 3/4"
headlights. At least then if you blow out a bulb for any reason you get to
start over with brand new optics as well as a new bulb.

Theo