Re: [Tigers] Headlights-Non tiger

To: <CoolVT@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Headlights-Non tiger
From: " Ron Fraser" <rfraser@bluefrog.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2012 13:00:24 -0500
Mark
        You are correct, the optics of the lens is of major importance.
Many of today's plastic lens headlights turn yellow or craze to the point
the headlights are worthless.  If the light is not focused, you see very
little.

        You treat the plastic lens just like polishing paint.  Sometimes you
need to wet sand then polish the plastic lens.

        I've seen a number of new cars that have bubble levels on the
headlight assemblies that make aiming them fairly easy.  Personally I like
to find a dark parking lot to aim my headlights out without blasting into a
car in front of me and to the center and right of my lane to see the
critters in the bushes.  I also have a tool for the headlight adjustment in
my glove box and I keep the adjuster screws lubed so they can be adjusted if
needed.

The factory set up can usually be duplicated on any flat surface and wall.
The specs are available in the service manual.
You adjust them to a target a certain distance and height from the
headlights.

        One vehicle I had needed several headlight adjustments which seem
odd to me until I saw the vehicle on a flat surface.   The vehicle was not
sitting level.  I later found that both rear springs had cracked.  Once I
replace the springs I had to adjust the headlights back.

Ron Fraser