Re: [Tigers] Converting from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousing and harmonic b

To: Nathan Johnson <vesselofgrace@hotmail.com>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Converting from 5 bolt to 6 bolt bellhousing and harmonic balancer question
From: "Smit, Theo" <Theo.Smit@dynastream.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:08:00 -0600
Accept-language: en-US
Acceptlanguage: en-US
Hi Nathan,
When you convert from 5 to 6 bolt you have to change the bellhousing, block
backing plate, clutch fork, transmission input bearing retainer, and get or
make a new mount for the clutch slave cylinder. For the trans input bearing
retainer you may be able to just get a spacer ring; the 6 bolt bellhousing has
a slightly larger register diameter, as well as a different transmission bolt
pattern. Some rare OEM housings have dual patterns; otherwise you have to
adapt a 6-bolt one to accept the narrow transmission bolt pattern from the
earlier transmission.

Some folks will tell you to just get a whole wide ratio Toploader so that you
get more street usable gears, along with the proper mounting pattern to bolt
up to your 6-bolt engine. You can also get one of these bellhousings:
http://www.jegs.com/i/Quick-Time-BellHousing/698/RM-6063/10002/-1?parentProdu
ctId=

Nice thing is that it should have all the right holes and it's SFI certified
so your feet can feel just that little bit more safe.
Caveat: I haven't used one of these... but if I was doing the 6 bolt to early
toploader setup, it is what I'd put at the top of the list.

Harmonic balancers are definitely spec'ed according to the imbalance of the
crankshaft assembly. It's easy to find 28 oz-in ones, but you may have to do
some extra digging to find a short, 3-bolt one so that the stock pulley will
fit on. On my 5.0 I'm using a 50 oz-in. Performance Products damper, which has
three sets of timing marks engraved and inked into it. They make a similar one
for 28 oz-in. applications, and you can get SFI or non-SFI as you see fit.

Theo

use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient, please
be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or
any attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,

Thank you for your cooperation.