Re: [Tigers] Off topic garage floor prep and coating

To: Tiger Man <Tigerman67@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Off topic garage floor prep and coating
From: Chris Thompson <chris@cthompson.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2012 20:26:23 -0400
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
I'm sorry to say that the front part of the barn is likely to be
problematic for you.  You saying this was once a barn is a tip.

On my garage, I used high quality two-part epoxy (from Ben Moore, I
think) floor paint about ten years ago.  I put it down when the floor
was fairly fresh - just after the building was completed. On the odd
occasion when I actually clean it, it looks pretty much the way it was
when I put it down.  And it's full of british cars, so there are plenty
of oil leaks.  I did etch it with muriatic acid before painting.  I
highly recommend two-part epoxy floor finishes on relatively new concrete.

Used the same paint around the same time when helping some folks rehab
the local municipal animal pound.  We powerwashed and then etched the
kennels with muriatic acid, and then painted.  The paint wouldn't
stick.  Research turned up that nothing is going to stick to concrete
that has been defecated or urinated on.  Never.  Now, I wasn't
responsible for the project, or chose the paint (epoxy is just standard
for kennels), so I don't know if they ever found a solution.  Sorry.

But I suspect that the front part of the barn was concrete while there
were animals in it, and the back part was poured afterwards.  If you
suspect that may be the case, do some research into re-painting kennels,
and maybe you'll find a solution.

Right now I'm building a new house and an 8 car garage, and am looking
into putting down porcelain tile.  A good bit more costy, but not as
much as you might think.  And porcelain is almost indestructable......

BTW, I did the epoxy job myself - it's not at all difficult, but it does
take care and surface prep is key.  And even though I left the garage
doors open while applying, a good quality mask is essential - that stuff
is rough!

Best of luck!

Chris
B382000331