[Tigers] New Guy questions

To: michael@michaelshortt.com
Subject: [Tigers] New Guy questions
From: "rande" <rande@thecia.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2012 12:37:37 -0400
Cc: tigers@autox.team.net
Most desirable Tigers?

As Jim wrote,  like other makes, the first built, last built, prototypes when
Rootes installed stuff to try out for newer model Tigers, survivor cars(
unrestored,
lots of original patina,original(stock)(no mods), famous race or rallye cars,
at this time Mark II's(1967) in good condition.

What to pay for a car in condition 2 or 3?

I think Jim's range is a good start for a production Tiger. These are sale
prices,
and I might put the current top limit at $50,000 at this point, as a current
rule of thumb. I don't know what the Milwaukee dealership sold their survivor
Tiger Mark II
for recently, but they paid around $59,000 to the California owner. One red
survivor Mark II was recently on eBay for $155,000, but the auction timed out
without a bidder. Personally, I'm ranking top survivor cars as condition 2's,
and I would buy one over a new restoration anytime.

Modifications?

Generally for resale reasons, folks are told don't change anything that can't
be changed back to stock, and DON'T THROW ANYTHING OUT. It depends on why you're
buying a Tiger and how long you're going to keep it. For concours classes, there
generally are three: Stock, personalized where the owner has added a custom
steering wheel, painted a non-original color, louvers for the hood, or road
wheels not in the option list, and finally modified where fenders might be
flared,
the powertrain might be a 347CID crate motor bolted to a five-speed,and a custom
front crossmember might be installed

Common mods?

289's or 302's replacing the original 260 in Mark 1 and 1A, LAT 70 wheels for
owners sticking with 13" and Panasport wheels for owners wanting to go larger
in size, Pertronix and Mallory ignitions to replace the points-type originals,
better radiators(more cores and aluminum sometimes), etc.

Most popular colors? Well, if you sticking with BRG and black interior, you
can start as soon as the bank account is ready. that's a very popular
combination.
Jim is correct about Midnight Blue, another popular color for recent
restorations
and repaints. Carnival Red aka Fire Engine Red aka Radar Red is also
hot.Mediterranean
Blue(like Robins Egg Blue) I'm seeing more of.
The rarer interior colors are tan, red, and blue on the Tiger Mark 1 and 1A.
Tiger Mark II's are usually black unless the rare owner makes a change.

I suggest that you check out Google 'images' to get a feel right away for the
different combinations, and try to attend a United on either the West or East
coast to see more of the cars in one spot. The next West coast United sponsored
by STOA is in mid June in Reno, and Tigers East usually holds their United
Columbus
Day weekend, early October. Depending on how much of a hurry you're in, there's
a Tiger Authentification session this coming weekend in mid coastal Florida,
which is mentioned in yesterdays autox mail. Let me know if you can't find it.

And, good luck.

Rande