Re: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread

To: Tiger List <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Balance pipe nipple thread
From: Allan Ballard <aballard@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 12:12:26 -0400
Sender: tigers-bounces@autox.team.net
Ron,

The Series V Alpine fuel pipe nut is 9/16, compared to 1/2 for Series IV
Alpines that you noted..

The crossover pipe looks the same on both Alpines made during the Tiger era
and quite likely is the same as the pipe used on Tigers.

Sent from my iPhone

On May 22, 2012, at 10:19 PM, Allan Ballard <aballard@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> I found out about  different fuel pipe nut and olive fittings being used on
Alpines the hard way :)

> I put a balance pipe from a Series V alpine (1966-1968) into my Series IV
Alpine (1963) and tried to attach the fuel line.

> It wouldn't attach.
>
> The pipes are the same but the fitting
> changed. One is different from the other by a small amount.
>
> So there were different fitting sizes used on the Series Alpines that
overlap Tiger production but the balance pipe looks to be the same on both
cars.

> Perhaps Tigers use a larger fitting  for the fuel line than Alpines - I've
never replaced a Tiger connecting pipe with an Alpine  pipe.

> OTOH maybe not and Tigers use a different sized fitting on early models from
later models corresponding to the Alpine fittings.