Re: [Tigers] Dana 44 Question

To: drmayf@mayfco.com, "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Dana 44 Question
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 09:24:00 -0800 (PST)
mild 377 SBC and on several ocations had 'accidently' broke parts of the
rear
D44. Both were related to 'speed shifting' (think about this in a 4x4
with a
truck transmission). First time twitsted off the yoke right in the
middle of the
splined section of the pinion. Second time exploded the spider
gears. Never had
a problem with the gear set (teeth) or axles. Tires were not
that big, but
larger then car tires.I do not speed shift any more (except in
loaner cars or
press car demos). Overall I think the D44 is pretty strong,
but a heavy rear. I
think a 9" is a fair bit lighter and with axle
upgrades much stronger.

Sandy