[Tigers] 67 MKII timing chain/gear question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] 67 MKII timing chain/gear question
From: david gilmore <dave.gilmore@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 17:48:20 -0800 (PST)
My 67 MKII has around 85,000 miles on the original 289 engine which has never
been opened up according to the previous 3 owners.  Car runs great with no
issues.  My concern and perhaps the concern of other owners is, should I
replace the the timing chain/gears as routine maintenance?  A friend with lots
of 289 engine experience said the engine is likely of the "non-interference"
type and not to do a chain/gear change since even if the fiber cam gear (or
possibly steel gear) breaks no engine damage would occur.    (If it works
don't mess with it basically).  I would prefer not to change anything if it is
not required.  I think some of these engines had fiber gears and others had
steel. I would welcome the educated suggestions of you guys obviously.  Can
anyone tell me if my engine has fiber or steel timing gear from the info
listed below?   Should I mess with it or just leave it alone?  I probably
drive less than a thousand gentle miles
 a year. Thanks for the forum and thanks for the input!

engine info:block (under starter) 6029, and under that 0 or a G and 3-AF6015E,
build date stamped by water pump on block is 6C31C.

Thank you,
Dave Gilmore
Leawood, Ks