[Tigers] TIGER CONVERTIBLE TOP STRAPS

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: [Tigers] TIGER CONVERTIBLE TOP STRAPS
From: H2Otor@aol.com
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2012 23:39:01 -0500 (EST)
Full-name: H2Otor
Tiger convertible  top  Gary Winblad  <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Actually early cars had three straps.
And they had "loops" sewed  to the top to hold them (Like belt loops on
pants).
I agree  with Gary Winblad  <garywinblad@comcast.net> on the convertible
top  straps.
I have a 1964  Tiger #B9470515.
I base the below  information on the convertible top that was on my 1964
Tiger when I bought it  used in the spring of 1967. I used the convertible top
for one year and then  purchased a factory hard top which made the car
warmer in the winter and I left  it on the car year round. I removed the
convertible top and frame and stored it  in my parents spare bedroom/store room
for
the next 25 years and installing it  back on the car when I restored the
Tiger in 1995.
The top has  three nylon straps riveted to the back top bow above the rear
window, one on  each side and one in the middle. They go forward to the
middle top bow and are  riveted to it. From the middle top bow there are three
gray elastic straps that  go to the front rail that clamps to the top of the
windshield frame. The middle  elastic strap goes directly to the middle of
the rail that clamps to the  windshield frame. The elastic straps on the
drivers side and passenger side each  go thru a belt type loop that is sewn to
the top about half way between the  middle top bow and the front rail that
clamps to the windshield. There are three  indents in the front metal rail
that clamps to the windshield where the elastic  straps go over the rail and
under the vinyl top fabric. When I reinstalled the  soft top the three gray
elastic straps were almost deteriorated away. I would  bend them and they
would flak off dust and chunks of hard rubber so I cut them  off of the soft
top. I have what is left of the gray elastic straps stored away  somewhere with
the original other parts I saved when I restored the Tiger.
Hopefully I did  not thoroughly confuse you trying to describe the top
straps.
John  Watertor