Re: [Tigers] 260 CID Cam

To: <johnp@ciseast.com>, <Carmods@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] 260 CID Cam
From: "A. C. Tynes" <v8tracker@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 21:12:22 -0600
John and John, et al

I can't imagine going to the expense of rebuilding an engine and not converting
it to roller lifters and roller rockers. The parts cost a little more, but it
is really simple to do. You get the advantage of reduced engine friction and
eliminate the whole "breaking in the cam" problem. You also get the advantage
of using the latest and best cam lobe designed for your purpose. See the last
paragraph about changing the firing order, which is also simple.

John Logan, this applies especially to your friend since he is going to have to
buy new hydraulic lifters anyway.

I have heard that roller rockers may not fit under stock Tiger chrome valve
covers, but the Ford roller rockers I have in the Tracker engine fit fine under
my ribbed stock cast aluminum "Power by Ford" valve covers, but you would have
to check for yourself. Those look like the finned "COBRA" valve covers I see on
a lot of Tigers.

John P., you may run into a problem with the GT40 heads. The header bolt
locations are the same as other Ford heads, but the aftermarket header pipes
seem to be located slightly differently and there are differently shaped stock
exhaust manifolds for the GT40 heads. You may have problems getting to and
tightening the header bolts. There are special headers made for the GT40 heads,
but I don't know how they fit a Tiger. Otherwise, you will save yourself a lot
of trouble if you put on the headers before putting the engine in the car.

For general information, however, remember that the 302 uses two different
firing orders and thus not all cams for the 260 and 289 will be usable in the
302 or vice versa. The 351 Windsor (and the Cleveland?) uses a different firing
order from the 260, 289 and earlier 302's. The later 302 firing order was
changed to match the 351, but I am not sure when the change was made. I have
seen it written that the change was made in 1995 and also seen where it was
made when the 302 changed from carb to fuel injection.

Of course, you can use any cam in any engine as long as you match the firing
order to the cam. The Tracker 302 originally used the old firing order, but I
used a Ford E303 cam with the new firing order and moved the spark plug wires
around. Works like a charm.

HTH,
A. C. Tynes