Re: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels

To: <MWood24020@aol.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels
From: "Ross Hulse" <ross_hulse@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2013 20:22:42 -0800
Subject: [Tigers] Thoughts on 7" front wheels

Mike,

15x7 will not work on the front.

The rim width and offset to keep the wheel inside the fender will impact the
upper A frame before full lock.  This is why people go with 6 inch rims on
15's in the front.

If you go to 16's or 17's the rim will be over the A frame but have new
problems such as rubber band size tires.  I don't know if there are other
interference problems with large rims as I have never tried them.

I have tried 15x7 all around and discovered this truth at a cost of 2K.
Want to buy some custom made wheels?

Some people I am told addressed this problem by grinding down the seam on
the A frame to get clearance.  I opted not to weaken my suspension and went
to 15x 6 in the front and 15x7 with the proper offsets.

Problem solved and I am running Kumho 205/55-15 Ecsta 4X  on all 4 wheels
with no clearance problems other than gently rolling the rear fender wells.

Ross "Commodore Blues" Hulse

I'm about to buy some new wheels for my Tiger. Because of the lack of
quality off the shelf wheels for our cars, I'm leaning towards 15"  diameter
Panasports. While kind of "belly button" wheels, they are very  well made
and reasonable cost.

The usual 6" front/7" rear fitment has limited appeal, primarily  because of
the handling compromises that result. I'd like to run 7' all around  with
equal size tires.

Anyone have direct experience with the 7's and clearances? My valence is
near stock, we did do some basic smoothing, prior to the car going to paint.

How  large a tire might fit? (I could see running as small as 195/50-15 at
all four  corners).

Thanks for any thoughts!
Mike Wood