Re: [Tigers] Tiger Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket Question

To: tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger Clutch Slave Cylinder Bracket Question
From: Larry Mayfield <drmayf@mayfco.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 07:19:41 -0700
If this was a change from a 5 bolt to a 6 bolt bell housing, ie from a
260 5 bolt  to a 289 6 bolt then there is more than just the difference
there. The bell housings are physically larger on the 6 bolt. The
starter will also not be in the correct location in that case. If it is
a 5 bolt 289 then everything will fit fine. I have one of those also.
Used for quite a while and it produced bags of  HP.  Note that the 6
bolt pattern is good for everything from the first 6 bolt use to the
last 302 made.  The recent thread regards throw out arms are affected by
the bell housing changes as well. A 5 bolt bell housing throw out arm
may not be the same as the 5 bolt 260 bell housing although I did use
mine that way for a lot of years.

By the way, not exactly sure what you mean by a big hole in the bottom
of the bell housing: round, square or?  I once had a 5 bolt cast steel
bell housing and the entire bottom of it came off by removing 4 large
bolts to permit access to the clutch inside.  Is this a hole like that?

I have one of the CAT 6 bolt slave cylinder brackets I purchased years
ago and never used..because it is made of fairly thin material. That
clutch slave needs to be held on by a non flexy bracket.

mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile