Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com> s=q20121106; t=1371047231; bh=5AoHuOYVEWjmfUUHjKxpJtOscwKlzCmGU5eqXgshK2Y=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=WCgQR9VuTSnew2l3REYdT2N8n9epUjcMNbQfwyWrd9n5hDBikeHypRKIg3DiZB3oW 8kHxKW5j+h9OKRWBLffoIfDBJBCud9UYo/ADG4Vb+Rn8VQRKXVQvd0SXCamsfcuOtr uUAZSerTWjRZzKRSWdsOtkJ7BAF1eHMbze75FYhRdruSxVxVjZQjur95EQGjtJCGFm 83EmT3AKDys6OcTB0+oYJX6ug7Ax1qnBhPca2fyPTGXhatxhl05HDOId8G5MmKr5iD SmyWgaT6hdorgQQ5ocbBm0OHYA7bsu5oWYn/NEj5KT+XjDCuHeO4I08oEcagoDV5oR QuNlPvTRutm7w==
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls
From: Gary Winblad <garywinblad@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2013 14:27:11 +0000 (UTC)
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net Den" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Oh  Jay...
I feel your pain!!  It brings it all back..  yup, your Holley must be from the
same vintage
as my 4bbl.   Now my much older 2bbl never had those stuck forever gaskets.
Be sure to use the plain paper ones when you put it back together,  they WILL
leak
but so did the others.
The floats get adjusted in place, wet.  At least that's an easy step.
As delivered, my 600cfm list 1850 was waaayy rich, I went down 2 jet sizes as
I recall.
I hope your dad's ox sensor is still working, that is a very good thing to
have!
Gary
    ----- Original Message -----  From: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
To: tigers@autox.team.net Den <tigers@autox.team.net>  Sent: Wed, 12 Jun 2013
05:00:59 -0000 (UTC)  Subject: [Tigers] Holley Rebuild - float bowls    So
I've proceeded a bit more on the carb.  The back float bowl was a disaster.
The gasket was really stuck on the carb.  I used the chemical gasket remover.
But it wasn't all that much help.  And, the cleaner and some of he small
scrapings ended up in the small holes.  What a mess.  I think I've cleaned
them all out now.    On the front float bowl, that came off and cleaned up
easily enough.  But the  next part, the large piece that covers the power
valve seems as stuck as the  rear float bowl gasket.  I'm thinking I might
just leave that one alone at  this point.  Unless someone tells me it is
critical to replace the power valve  and whatever else is in there.    Also,
is there some reason my dad might have had the floats really high?  The  rear
one was a little high from the "parallel to the ground" that the Holley
instructions suggest.  But the front one was really high - almost to the top.