Re: [Tigers] Antifreeze

To: "genepadgett@comcast.net" <genepadgett@comcast.net>, "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Antifreeze
From: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 15:55:02 -0700 (PDT)

If you are looking for the Silicate free organic acid stuff look for Diesel
approved CAT EC-1, I run this stuff in the Power Stroke and it's non-silicate.
I think you can find the green stuff in non-silicate formulas too but you need
to check the container, especially if it says compatible in all cars. Color
doesn't always indicate a specific formula.

That being said I have the same
griffin radiator and just used off the shelf pre-diluted green prestone
anti-freeze and was done with it.

People get way to analytical with this
stuff, our old rusty iron blocks will thank for anything besides tap water.

The diesel community is beyond fanatical with Anti-freeze/Coolants for a few
other good reasons but for our SBF motors you can't go too far wrong with any
good quality (silicate or free of silicates) as long as you perform some sort
of sensible maintenance on your cooling system per the coolant specs.

As I
understand it the biggest problem for silicate based is that it drops out of
solution at some point and wears out the pump impellers. Again maintenance
solves that. Just be sure to run anti-freeze if you are in a freezing
environment, as Gene mentioned watter-wetter is not a good thing to help with
winter freezing :)

Flush your system if you are going to change to an OAT
style, for that matter good idea to do it at some point in the cars life.

Zerex, Shell Rotella, and Final Charge (easy to find) have OAT EC-1 Red style
coolant. I don't know much about DEXCOOL but that may be an alternative too.

Sandy