[Tigers] Antifreeze

To: tigers@autox.team.net s=q20121106; t=1381263200; bh=Nj4DnUzAfSwXpPL3tYeaDQ2T7PFOoZcjWE+sariE2sQ=; h=Received:Received:Date:From:To:Message-ID:Subject:MIME-Version: Content-Type; b=FaBfTsqLEwiGHoN/Qbtd2O+RxdD8gbfSzuKq+nKwDMZFuhqiY51Wqr6X35q3w+4y3 gOt+XtQTivwENrpRnBHZhlVDAyxYvPWl5eiN0fJGGtkABwIUZ1gSd1ul+G/8yzC3h5 HMY+2j54CJxNcEPGXalYjtaboENLCqlSQ0QhPtjE3WCu5S4sAuhdHIGRgnsdRlHbl7 MKLTKfExyGouNI3t8G5cFLPKWpM+zTcu2/TDJE650zh1UmWby0xPhjW/5i7ZwmbZuc cMSFRBjS9mZloIgfyC9Th4bNY4NhP4C8CRkgHclQvsHs3THbxA6x4hMer03TJ3GY4R MJ5JkKNNKQLow==
Subject: [Tigers] Antifreeze
From: genepadgett@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2013 20:13:20 +0000 (UTC)
I normally prefer just distilled water and Water Wetter for my engine coolant
during normal driving season. Unfortunately the car has to sit in an unheated
garage here in Northern Il. during the winter.

This year it will have my new 347 motor and a new Griffin aluminum radiator in
it. I want to put the right antifreeze in it, one that if by chance I did take
the car out before the spring coolant flush would be good for the car. Griffin
says to use a non-silicate type antifreeze.

Trying to learn more about these things I am getting a headache. I did come
across the following on the internet. It is in an article from 2005 in Motor
magazine entitled "Cooling System Service Update".

GM, VW/Audi and some European makers use OAT coolants with no silicates or
phosphates. Japanese companies have been moving to an OAT with phosphates, but
oppose a key organic acid in GM DexCool. Chrysler Group, Ford U.S.A. and BMW
use basically the same antifreeze as Mercedes, a low-silicate hybrid formula.

The entire article is at http://www.motor.com/article.asp?article_ID=938 .

Based on the above it would seem I should go with something the Japanese use
for their cars. I do not have a personal problem with that. But apparently
their stuff is also expensive and I like to be smart with my money. Apparently
not all ingredients are listed by all antifreeze makers on their containers.
After reading the above, I decided to ask the List if anyone has plowed this
field before me and if so, what brands have they turned up that people with a
lot of aluminum in their engines cooling system should use.

TIA, Gene