Re: [Tigers] Regulators

To: <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>, <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Regulators
From: "Jim McLaughlin" <jimmc13@socket.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 10:45:04 -0600
Owain,

I am not sure how electronically handy you are, however most alternators
with internal regulators can be rebuilt either entirely or partially.  Auto
Parts house should be able to advise on the availability of complete kits or
just the regulator.  Next you can decide, based upon failure rates or
vehicle miles how much of a rebuild you can or should perform.
I have rebuilt many alternators from Ford to Toyota, it can be done.  Absent
this you can find the local person in your area that still rebuilds or
rewinds electric motors and ask him to see if he would do it.
Before any of this check on the potential life after rebuild that you should
expect.  If you intend to keep the vehicle, you will be ahead by knowing
exactly what you did to the alternator to make it good again.  Also look in
the internet for tips on rebuilding your type of alternator, you will find
others that have come before you and succeeded.
Finally, $1000 is quite pricey for an alternator.  Used parts recyclers
usually can provide a low mileage take off for about half the price,
normally with a warranty.

Jim McLaughlin
B382000175