Re: [Tigers] Regulators

To: Steve Halbrook <sjhcobra1@cs.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Regulators
From: Owain Lloyd <owain.lloyd@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2013 12:33:59 -0500
Cc: "<tigers@autox.team.net>" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your responses.   I should probably elaborate with all the
details.

The alternator is specially built by a company in England as a modern
alternator that looks like a generator.  It was bought from SC Parts in the
UK who claim they have never heard of one failing and were not much help.
 However, I think most people must just potter around at 3500rpm in an
XK120 and therefore it never fails.  I ran mine at up to 6500rpm and
'cruised' at over 4000rpm, 14 hours a day for 4 days in the C-type.   I
think that abuse is probably more than they usually experience and I've
therefore concluded that the regulator (at least in that location) isn't up
to the job i'm expecting to do.

I started by taking it to an alternator/generator/starter repair shop that
is coincidentally just down the road from my own shop.  They told me the
regulator had failed but were unable to proceed further as they didn't know
the type of regulator.  They seem to be unable to do anything 'custom'.

I will contact Don's recommendation in CT and enquire if they can help.
 Ideally, I'd like to move the regulator outside the unit where I can help
it keep cool better.

Thanks,

Owain.