Re: [Tigers] Tiger elec components with non-factory wiring?

To: Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Tiger elec components with non-factory wiring?
From: Cullen McCann via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2015 21:29:42 -0600
Cc: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Thanks Sandy...as always, your a wealth of knowledge. Thank you Tom also for
the source on the wiring. That will help. Yes, Both of you are correct, that I
want more circuit protection than the two fuses that the system is designed to
provide. At a minimum, I will take a stock harness or a replica of an original
harness and add additional fuses. My preference, however, was to have more
flexibility routing locations, choosing where to route the wiring. This would
require pay cut to fit type approach with some additional length. While I do
have an appreciation for making a period correct presentation, I may choose to
conceal some of my wiring more so than the factory. I will not likely drape it
across the inner fender panels as it was originally. I have had extremely good
results with street rod style aftermarket harnesses. That's why I was pushing
that direction. But, I have a complete and uncut original harness. I am
certainly interested in using an alternator system versus the generator
system.

Hard to explain my motivation or inspiration for original components versus
custom ones, but I suspect and I phrased my original question that it would
help to understand better. I like original hardware, original gauges and
interiors , original colors and styling, but will more than likely modernize
my electronics , brakes, and other subtle places to improve quality-of-life,
And in my opinion, reliability. Not trying to start a design debate, this is
just my Comfort zone.

Sandy's approach is the closest so far to what I'm hoping to achieve. More
specifically, however, I was wondering if anyone had ever adapted a completely
aftermarket style harness to factory electronic components. The wipers,
gauges, and all the lighting systems etc.

Cullen

Sent from my iPad

> On Jan 13, 2015, at 9:10 PM, Sandy Ganz <sganz@pacbell.net> wrote:
>
> It would not be a problem, the electrical is pretty similar except for the
Generator. You might keep some of the wiring and just redo sketchy parts. I
would definitely use a fuse block with more then 2 fuses :). The areas of
trickiness I'm guessing would be turn signal and Generator, the rest is pretty
simple in looking at the diagrams. That all being said you might be better off
starting with a replica harness and just add a fuse block, I think all the
individual terminations for things ends up at the 2 fuses and each of those
wires could be set to their own fuse. I have some melted wires under the dash
that proves a 20 (or 30??) amp fuse will not blow if a small wire gets a
short!

> One other issue is if you intend on using all the odd connectors to things
like motors, wipers, etc, if not and you have no issue chopping them and using
safe and modern connectors a new harness is OK, but if you have to start
splicing bullet connectors everywhere, easier to start with a stock harness
and fix the fuse box IMO ;)