[Tigers] About stud failure

To: "tigers@autox.team.net" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Tigers] About stud failure
From: Larry Wright via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 19:15:06 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Jerry Christopherson wrote:

"Saw something disturbing a month or so ago.  On my way  to a local ?Cruise
Night? at a burger shop, l passed an early Datsun 1600  (could have been the
2000) that was on the side of the road, the left rear  wheel had fallen
off.  It was clear all four lug nuts had  sheared  off.  That got me thinking
about our very old measly 7/16 studs and high  powered (300+HP) engines.
Does anybody know the number of a particular  7/16 TRW stud that works on our
flimsy little hubs without stretching the  holes??  Most of the ones I have
looked at the ?knurling? on the base is  much larger than the Knurling on
the stock studs.  Pressing them in would  certainly cause a lot of stress in
an already weak part.  Drilling the  hubs out so they would fit would be
counterproductive.  Machining the  Knurling down would work, but again
counterproductive in my  opinion. Any ideas??"

I tried to remember when and how I posted something on studs when I rebuilt my
suspension. Here's what I located in the archives that I posted from 1998:

"A few years back, and I don't remember why, I installed Moroso
(drag-racer stuff) studs in the front of the Garage Queen, needed the
hubs machined. I think it took 10 minutes to bore out to the new
diameter. If your hubs no longer accept stock studs you might want to
consider this. If interested I could possibly find the receipt for the
studs with the stock number on it."

And 1999:

"Concerning Stu's wheel-stud issue:
If you haven't fixed yours by now, I never did find the stock # for the
Moroso studs I used on the rear of my car; I wanted new front ones so I
picked up some at the speed shop yesterday. Moroso #46150, 7/16"-20 x
2-7/8" long, 0.480 diameter "knurl". Not sure what diameter to drill the
hub out to, I e-mailed Moroso and am waiting on an answer. BTW, these
are way too long and must be cut down, which is not fun, and then have a
conical tip reground to facilitate getting the lug nuts on. I don't
think they'll ever break, though. Also BTW, they come in sets of five,
so you'll have some left over."

Not sure if this is of any value.

Larry Wright
Seabrook, MD