Re: [Tigers] Brakes

To: Tym McDowell <tym2@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes
From: Jay Laifman via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 07:31:57 -0800
Cc: Tiger's List <tigers@autox.team.net>

--001a114421e8ce7fb80523ccd343

I was just watching a Jay Leno episode on an MG TD with a Chevy V8 in it.
He was complaining about the drum brakes in the front.  He had a Wilwood
salesperson in there.  Jay commented that the Tiger brakes were no good,
with drums up front.  He also made some other somewhat disparaging comments
about the Tiger.  Kind of sad to see that.  The Wilwood guy said some
totally wrong things too - like he said their low profile caliper is to get
the pads "down, close and tight over the rotor."  Ah, last time I checked,
the low profile was for OD clearance for a smaller wheel - all their
calipers better be getting down, close and tight over the rotor!  Then he
said the front Tiger brake "is a drum brake, a really small drum.  You get
one good stop, and that's really all you get."  Jay laughed and agreed with
that comment.   So I have to say, it did not leave me with a whole lot of
confidence in them - or at least this salesman's knowledge.  And he is the
sales manager.

Ok I'm being overly critical.  They are just small nits.  And, they
probably make great brakes.

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM, tym2--- via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
wrote:

> Tigers,
> Is anyone using the Wilwood front disc kit?  If so, is it that much better
> than the stock brakes?
> Thanks in advance.
> Tym McDowell

--001a114421e8ce7fb80523ccd343

Chevy V8 in it.=C2=A0 He was complaining about the drum brakes in the front=
.=C2=A0 He had a Wilwood salesperson in there.=C2=A0 Jay commented that the=
 Tiger brakes were no good, with drums up front.=C2=A0 He also made some ot=
her somewhat disparaging comments about the Tiger.=C2=A0 Kind of sad to see=
 that.=C2=A0 The Wilwood guy said some totally wrong things too - like he s=
aid their low profile caliper is to get the pads &quot;down, close and tigh=
t over the rotor.&quot; =C2=A0Ah, last time I checked, the low profile was =
for OD clearance for a smaller wheel - all their calipers better be getting=
 down, close and tight over the rotor!=C2=A0 Then he said the front Tiger b=
rake &quot;is a drum brake, a really small drum.=C2=A0 You get one good sto=
p, and that&#39;s really all you get.&quot;=C2=A0=C2=A0Jay laughed and agre=
ed with that comment. =C2=A0=C2=A0So I have to say, it did not leave me wit=
h a whole lot of confidence in them - or at least this salesman&#39;s knowl=
g overly critical.=C2=A0 They are just small nits.=C2=A0 And, they probably=
v 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM, tym2--- via Tigers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"m=
ailto:tigers@autox.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt=
;</span> wrote:<br><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 =
.8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div>Tigers,</div>
ch better than the stock brakes?</div>
br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/archive"; rel=3D"noreferrer" target=
=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/archive</a><br>