Re: [Tigers] Brakes

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Brakes
From: Bob Josten via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 09:06:37 -0800
Cc: Tiger's List <tigers@autox.team.net>

--001a113adef063da510523ce2645

I'm using the Willwood kit I bought from Dale, I use it with a 7/8" dual
reservoir master without a booster and it works great.

Every year Jay shows up at the Queen's English show at Woodley Park and he
makes a point of walking through the tigers.

Every year he says that he had to sell the one he used to own because all
tigers overheat, they all have dangerous steering issues and they all
handle terribly.

Each time he says this a knowledgeable tiger person corrects him and tells
him that there are certain upgrades that can done that minimize or
eliminate these issues.

That said he did a really glowing video segment with Mike M's tiger the is
posted on the Leno website.

Bob J.

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM, Jay Laifman via Tigers <
tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> I was just watching a Jay Leno episode on an MG TD with a Chevy V8 in it.
> He was complaining about the drum brakes in the front.  He had a Wilwood
> salesperson in there.  Jay commented that the Tiger brakes were no good,
> with drums up front.  He also made some other somewhat disparaging comments
> about the Tiger.  Kind of sad to see that.  The Wilwood guy said some
> totally wrong things too - like he said their low profile caliper is to get
> the pads "down, close and tight over the rotor."  Ah, last time I checked,
> the low profile was for OD clearance for a smaller wheel - all their
> calipers better be getting down, close and tight over the rotor!  Then he
> said the front Tiger brake "is a drum brake, a really small drum.  You get
> one good stop, and that's really all you get."  Jay laughed and agreed with
> that comment.   So I have to say, it did not leave me with a whole lot of
> confidence in them - or at least this salesman's knowledge.  And he is the
> sales manager.
>
> Ok I'm being overly critical.  They are just small nits.  And, they
> probably make great brakes.
>

> On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM, tym2--- via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Tigers,
>> Is anyone using the Wilwood front disc kit?  If so, is it that much
>> better than the stock brakes?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Tym McDowell

--001a113adef063da510523ce2645

t from Dale, I use it with a 7/8&quot; dual reservoir master without a boos=
een&#39;s English show at Woodley Park and he makes a point of walking thro=
 he used to own because all tigers overheat, they all have dangerous steeri=
 a knowledgeable tiger person corrects him and tells him that there are cer=
tain upgrades that can done that minimize or eliminate these issues.<br><br=
mail_extra"><br><div class=3D"gmail_quote">On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 7:31 AM, =
Jay Laifman via Tigers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox=
.team.net" target=3D"_blank">tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt;</span> wrote:<br=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I was just watching a Jay =
Leno episode on an MG TD with a Chevy V8 in it.=C2=A0 He was complaining ab=
out the drum brakes in the front.=C2=A0 He had a Wilwood salesperson in the=
re.=C2=A0 Jay commented that the Tiger brakes were no good, with drums up f=
ront.=C2=A0 He also made some other somewhat disparaging comments about the=
 Tiger.=C2=A0 Kind of sad to see that.=C2=A0 The Wilwood guy said some tota=
lly wrong things too - like he said their low profile caliper is to get the=
 pads &quot;down, close and tight over the rotor.&quot; =C2=A0Ah, last time=
 I checked, the low profile was for OD clearance for a smaller wheel - all =
their calipers better be getting down, close and tight over the rotor!=C2=
=A0 Then he said the front Tiger brake &quot;is a drum brake, a really smal=
l drum.=C2=A0 You get one good stop, and that&#39;s really all you get.&quo=
t;=C2=A0=C2=A0Jay laughed and agreed with that comment. =C2=A0=C2=A0So I ha=
ve to say, it did not leave me with a whole lot of confidence in them - or =
at least this salesman&#39;s knowledge.=C2=A0 And he is the sales manager.<=
v class=3D"gmail_quote">On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 6:32 PM, tym2--- via Tigers =
mail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc solid;padding-l=
eft:1ex"><div>Tigers,</div>
ch better than the stock brakes?</div>
br>
m.net</a><br>