Re: [Tigers] MkII Headlight Rims

To: Jay Laifman <jay.laifman@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] MkII Headlight Rims
From: Tom Parker via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 16:19:35 -0500
Cc: Tiger's Den <tigers@autox.team.net>, Tod Brown <todbrown@roadrunner.com>

--001a1141ba065624c5052824183f

Mine (#105) has the non-peaked (rounded) rims.

Tom
'67 Mark 2

On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 11:51 AM, Jay Laifman via Tigers <
tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:

> FWIW, the original design of the car by Howes hand smooth, non-peaked
> headlight rims. Picture:
> http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4026&d=1349321494
>
> It was the Rootes family that wanted it to look more American that changed
> it.  Personally, my first car was a very late SV which came with
> non-peaked.  I liked them, but really liked them when I put them on my S3.
> Pictures attached.
>
> On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Tod Brown via Tigers <
> tigers@autox.team.net> wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that all of the MkII Tigers I have seen recently have had
>> the rounded
>> headlight rims as opposed to the peaked rims used on the MkI & MkIA
>> models. However,
>> many years ago, back in the 1970's, I owned a MkII for a short while that
>> had peaked
>> rims. Was this another case of Jensen using whatever was on the shelf
>> that day when
>> the car was being built or was there a definite changeover date when they
>> went from
>> peaked to rounded rims. Or were they all rounded as delivered?
>>
>> The particular MkII that I owned was B3821000139 LRXFE and was red. It
>> came to me
>> as a wreck as the former owner had tried to operate it in an inverted
>> position. As Dylan
>> said, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" so I
>> proceeded to part the
>> car out and the pieces are scattered over Tiger-land now. I still have
>> the headlight rims
>> and a few other odd pieces but nothing worth much any more (before you
>> all write to
>> ask about the side and wheel trim, much to my chagrin). Norm was informed
>> of its
>> ultimate demise long ago, so it will not appear as an Alger, hopefully.
>>
>> Anyway, it seems that, at least from this one example, peaked rims on a
>> MkII are
>> acceptable, so I am wondering if anyone else knows of other examples.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Tod
>> B382002384 LRXFE
>> TAC 864

--001a1141ba065624c5052824183f

 via Tigers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; =
e class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;border-left:1px #ccc sol=
id;padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">FWIW, the original design of the car =
by Howes hand smooth, non-peaked headlight rims. Picture: <a href=3D"http:/=
/www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3D4026&amp;d=3D134=
9321494" target=3D"_blank">http://www.sunbeamalpine.org/forum/attachment.ph=
Rootes family that wanted it to look more American that changed it.=C2=A0 P=
ersonally, my first car was a very late SV which came with non-peaked.=C2=
=A0 I liked them, but really liked them when I put them on my S3.=C2=A0 Pic=
il_quote"><div><div class=3D"h5">On Mon, Dec 7, 2015 at 8:24 AM, Tod Brown =
via Tigers <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net"; t=
px #ccc solid;padding-left:1ex"><div><div class=3D"h5">
 =20

   =20
 =20
    <big>I have noticed that all of the MkII Tigers I have seen recently
      have had the rounded <br>
      headlight rims as opposed to the peaked rims used on the MkI &amp;
      MkIA models. However,<br>
      many years ago, back in the 1970&#39;s, I owned a MkII for a short
      while that had peaked<br>
      rims. Was this another case of Jensen using whatever was on the
      shelf that day when <br>
      the car was being built or was there a definite changeover date
      when they went from <br>
      peaked to rounded rims. Or were they all rounded as delivered?<br>
      The particular MkII that I owned was B3821000139 LRXFE and was
      red. It came to me<br>
      as a wreck as the former owner had tried to operate it in an
      inverted position. As Dylan<br>
      said, &quot;I was so much older then, I&#39;m younger than that now&q=
uot; so I
      proceeded to part the<br>
      car out and the pieces are scattered over Tiger-land now. I still
      have the headlight rims<br>
      and a few other odd pieces but nothing worth much any more (before
      you all write to <br>
      ask about the side and wheel trim, much to my chagrin). Norm was
      informed of its <br>
      ultimate demise long ago, so it will not appear as an Alger,
      hopefully. <br>
      Anyway, it seems that, at least from this one example, peaked rims
      on a MkII are <br>
      acceptable, so I am wondering if anyone else knows of other
      examples.<br>
      Cheers,<br>
      Tod<br>
      B382002384 LRXFE<br>