Re: [Tigers] More ugly dash issues or continuation anyway...

To: "'Gary Winblad'" <garywinblad@comcast.net>, "'Tiger List'" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] More ugly dash issues or continuation anyway...
From: Larry Mayfield via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 3 Oct 2016 15:20:33 -0700
Ok, the ugly dash is now 100% functional.  When I sat down and tried to
determine the reason for the temp meter going full scale when the fuel LGG
power wore was removed and that coupled with the fact that when both were
still connected nothing worked, I hit on the answer. That somewhere the LGG
wire on the Fuel meter was shorting out and causing noting to work. I
removed that gage, from the dash and could not see anything obvious, but
when I put the fluke on it I had continuity from the LGG pi post to the
case. Oops ! That is not supposed to be there.  So I removed the terminal
nut the post the bake lite washer and the opaque  plastic under all of that
and sure enough that threaded post from the gage internals was touching the
outer gage metal case.  Why? I have no idea as I am generally pretty careful
about pulling wires from things.  I had some shouldered nylon washers that
my eldest son had when he was doing tats and used one to insulate the
threaded piece. Then I put it all back together. Then I checked the temp
gage, Dang, same identical issue! Same fix.  All back together. Made a new
better for me to install bracket for the new electronic voltage regulator
and got that installed. Moment of truth... hit starter and engine came to
life, no not springing to life but like me, sorta gently coming up to speed.
I let it run for a while but it is really flooding and I need to repair the
carb.  Float is likely stuck wide open.  But as it ran, the fuel gage
climber to about 4 or 5 gallons, and it is off a bit at rest, so I can
fiddle some with that one day and the temp came up to 170 degrees.   I shut
it off and wept tears of  joy (well, not really but you get the idea).

So no more dash items will be reported unless I get crazy and try and figure
out the  MGB unit and then check to see if the OEM unit is actually still
working or not.

Many, many, thanks to all of you who chimed in to assist, I needed the help
for both inspiration and hope and encouragement. And a special thanks to
Gary Winblad! Maybe one day I can get him an RC Cola and Moon Pie for
gratuity. We are similar ages so that helped, lol...

Mayf

drmayf
Worlds Fastest Sunbeam, period.
204.913 mph flying mile