Re: [Tigers] Carb Question

To: Joe Brown <jbbrown1980@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] Carb Question
From: Mark Rense via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2018 14:09:16 -0400
Cc: Tigers Den <Tigers@autox.team.net>

--00000000000058c66e0576de3d03

Are you trying to be authentic or do you just want the best fuel metering
system? As an engine builder I=E2=80=99ve used many different carbs in many
different applications. I use a gas analyzer to get mixture correct and
have found the Edelbrock (Carter) series easiest to tune. The 1403 500 CFM
is a great and responsive carb for anything under 250 hp.  However, they
are definitely more susceptible to gas boiling, and we all know how cool it
is under a Tiger bonnet!

The 1848 is what I think came on a LAT1 kit and worked well on the 260.
Also the Holley 570 Street Avenger works well on moderately breathed-upon
engines and tolerates more thermal input but comes way too rich out of the
box. Plus they need a full setup (butterfly position, accept pump, bowl
cleaning and float setup) before running, as do all new Holleys. There is
also a Street Demon with poly bowls that is claimed to run much cooler but
at 625 CFM is much too big for a 260.

There are many new FI systems out there and to me the biggest advantage is
cool recirculated fuel, instant tuning and tolerance of the poor quality
swill that comes out of the pump. I am thinking that I will install the
Holley Sniper kit on one of my Tigers this winter as it is the least
invasive system I=E2=80=99ve seen so far.

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/snip=
er_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/550-516

Good luck!
Bugz

On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:47 PM Joe Brown via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net=

wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I will be rebuilding my engine soon (original 260, no modifications) and =
> want to use a new carburetor.  The original owner had a Holley 650cfm on =
it
> and I understand that something smaller will work better.
>
> So which is a better solution, a Holley 1848 (465cfm) or an Edelbrock 140=
3
> (500cfm).
>
> Is anybody using a FiTech system?  I have a friend who is using the FiTec=
> Go EFI 4 on his old truck and he swears by it.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe Brown

--00000000000058c66e0576de3d03

he best fuel metering system? As an engine builder I=E2=80=99ve used many d=
ifferent carbs in many different applications. I use a gas analyzer to get =
mixture correct and have found the Edelbrock (Carter) series easiest to tun=
e. The 1403 500 CFM is a great and responsive carb for anything under 250 h=
p.=C2=A0 However, they are definitely more susceptible to gas boiling, and =
we all know how cool it is under a Tiger bonnet!</div><div dir=3D"auto"><br=
rked well on the 260. Also the Holley 570 Street Avenger works well on mode=
rately breathed-upon engines and tolerates more thermal input but comes way=
 too rich out of the box. Plus they need a full setup (butterfly position, =
accept pump, bowl cleaning and float setup) before running, as do all new H=
olleys. There is also a Street Demon with poly bowls that is claimed to run=
 much cooler but at 625 CFM is much too big for a 260.=C2=A0</div></div><di=
t there and to me the biggest advantage is cool recirculated fuel, instant =
tuning and tolerance of the poor quality swill that comes out of the pump. =
I am thinking that I will install the Holley Sniper kit on one of my Tigers=
 this winter as it is the least invasive system I=E2=80=99ve seen so far.=
tps://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_injection/sniper_efi/sniper=
_4bbl_tbi_kits/parts/550-516">https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/=
e"><div dir=3D"ltr">On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 7:47 PM Joe Brown via Tigers &l=
t;<a href=3D"mailto:tigers@autox.team.net";>tigers@autox.team.net</a>&gt; wr=
ote:<br></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0 0 0 .8ex;=
ons) and I want to use a new carburetor.=C2=A0 The original owner had a Hol=
ley 650cfm on it and I understand that something smaller will work better.<=
g a FiTech system?=C2=A0 I have a friend who is using the FiTech Go EFI 4 o=
m.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers"; rel=3D"noreferrer=
" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/tigers</a><br>
124@gmail.com" rel=3D"noreferrer" target=3D"_blank">http://autox.team.net/m=