Re: [Tigers] wierd in my experience

To: "'Russ and Tammy C.'" <rtscolgan@yahoo.com>, "Tiger List" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Tigers] wierd in my experience
From: Larry Mayfield via Tigers <tigers@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2018 11:33:47 -0700
Well, let's think about it...

What causes engine backfire?
When the exhaust valve opens, the mixture isn't done burning so it ignites
the unburned fuel in the exhaust system and causes a loud bang. ... As with
backfiring, coughing or spitting can also be caused by a bad ignition
system, such as cross firing, which sends a spark to a cylinder that has the
intake valve open.

If the engine misses during a switch operation, while running, then perhaps
the coil is not getting enough current to charge the coil momentarily.  That
give a moments time to flow a little unburned fuel air into the exhaust
system and then ignite when spark is restored. The white blue wire, running
back to the solenoid to provide full voltage to the coil during starting is
not in play. But the wire that comes from the tach to switch position 2 is
as that is what provide coil charging power when running normally.  What
could drop the voltage enough to fail to charge the coil to sufficient
voltage to fire? The ignition switch is in the run position so that comes
directly from the B post on the voltage regulator, The B post has the
generator to battery charging wire, the main lighting switch and panel light
switch via a connection to the  main light switch.  Looks to me like the
best trouble shooting would be to remove the red wire or power that runs
between the main light switch to the panel light switch. Start the engine
and let it come to temp and then switch on the panel light. If it does not
backfire as it did then the source is somewhere in that panel light system.
The before shutting the engine off try the mail light switch. If it
backfires then, the problem is in the main light circuit somewhere. Next
step, while running is to remove the dimmer switch blue wire. That will take
the dimmer switch and head lights out of the equation. If it still runs when
the lights are turned back on then that means the problem is from the dimmer
switch to the head lights somewhere.   Put the blue wire back on and try the
main light switch again. If it fails then the part of the wiring at fault is
from the dimmer outward, maybe the dimmer has a short internal of a lamp
connection that fails momentarily after powered then opens again.

Once the area has been isolated then get after the search for failed parts
or connections.

Hope this helps!

Mayf

drmayf