Intros & Spitfire Project

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Intros & Spitfire Project
From: "Larry C. Griffin - Peace College" <lgriffin@encore.ncren.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:44:17 -0500 (EST)
I have been lurking on the british-cars-digest since Sept and really look
forward to reading it. At last, others who understand! My wife certainly
doesn't :-) It's been fun to get to know a little about all the regular
contributors.

My background info:

Name:   Larry Griffin
Location: Raleigh, North Carolina
Car:    1968 Triumph Spitfire

A _long_ time ago I was active in SCCA and local sports car clubs. I
purchased my Spitfire in 1969 with only 8,000 miles. It has been off the
road since 1978. I pulled the engine after roughly 100k miles to discover
the thrust washers had disappeared, and the block and crank were history.
Due to a severe lack of money, and later the inability to locate a short
block, the engine wasn't rebuilt until 1986. At that point I made the
major mistake of deciding to redo the engine compartment instead of
putting the engine back in. Shortly thereafter, I moved and the car lost
its indoor storage. Now the engine is in my basement on a workbench, and the
car outside under a car cover and plastic tarp.

At this point, the immense amount  of the work needed to get it running is
almost overwhelming, but I know I must get started before it is too late.
Any advice from the group would be welcomed as to strategy and planning.
I cringe when I look at the present condition of the body, but a local
bodyshop owner looked at it and said it was not so bad. There is a lot of
surface rust on the paint, but the only  areas with holes: the
driver side floor pan, the left rear wheel arch, and top of the doors.

My initial thoughts on strategy:

1) Get rid of plastic tarp. This means repair to original metal frame and
installation of new top. Also the windshield probably needs to be removed
due to obvious rust bubbles under the rubber seal. The doors also need
work.
2) Due to my total inexperience, for now I will just try to stop other
rust on the body by sanding, treating with a prep solution, priming, and
painting where possible. The needed welding in of repair panels, etc.
will wait until I can afford to pay a bodyshop or learn myself.
3) All hydraulics systems will need rebuilding or replacement.
4) Front and rear suspension needs refurbishing.
5) Installation of engine.
6) Putting car back on road to sort remaining mechanical bugs.
7) Later, as the budget allows, body work and interior replacement.

TeriAnn, due you have any advice on the limits of work that can be done
outside (on a gravel driveway, in my case)? I admire what you have
accomplished.

Also I would be interested in joining if anyone knows of any Triumph or
british car clubs in my area (Raleigh, North Carolina).

Sorry for this long initial posting, but thanks for the help!

Trying to get motivated and become a reformed couch potato,
Larry
lgriffin@encore.ncren.net