Re: TR6 springs

To: Randell.Jesup@scala.com
Subject: Re: TR6 springs
From: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com (Gary Schneider)
Date: Fri, 19 May 95 09:33:18 CDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
You wrote:
>        Also, what will such out-of-spec and mismatched caster cause to
>happen?  There's no pulling, steering seems to center ok.  High speed shimmy
>seems gone now (it was tires or the .8 inches of toe-in I had).

Wow, that frame must be thoroughly twisted! Sounds like the lower A-arm on
the impact side was pushed back and the other was twisted forward. I would
have expected the caster to make it pull too but I don't know of any other
direct ill effects. The self-centering action after turning a corner may be
lessened. As long as all 4 tires point in the right direction without large
camber you won't get severe wear. The handling at the limit will be weird:
don't run any autocrosses. But you won't notice much on the street.

>        They refused to touch the rear suspension alignment.  The computer
>shows .9 degree positive camber on the left-rear, toe .44, and .8 negative
>on the right-rear, toe .43 (total rear toe, .86 versus nominal .12).  Nominal
>camber is 1 degree negative.  Should I leave it alone or is that too much
>toe-in to ignore?

Rear camber is an indirect effect of the swingarm geometry. If the spring
sags you get the top of the tire leaning in, but it doesn't matter much
unless you're racing. The huge amounts of toe I think could only mean the
swingarm bushings are shot, which is typical for any TR6 anyway. But an
_inch_ of toe-in is an astonishing number and will destroy the tires in
almost no time. Replace the bushings immediately, its a tedious but not
terribly difficult job. I used a vise and/or a long bolt to press mine into
place.

--
Gary Schneider, Nicolet Instrument Technologies
phone: 608-276-6172, Fax: 608-273-5061, Internet: gschneid@nicmad.nicolet.com