Adjusting a Tach

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Adjusting a Tach
From: pwiegman@ix.netcom.com (Paul Wiegman)
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 1995 05:24:30 -0700
August 29, 1995
Good Morning from Pittsburgh

1957 TR3

After replacing the speedometer cable the needle now remains steady
without swinging through an arc of 20-30 MPH.  I always considered the
lower end of the arc the correct speed.

I also replaced the Tach cable.  However, now the needle reaches about
2000 RPM and never goes beyond.

Does anyone have experience making adjustments on the tach ?  The
internal workings have a small adjusting screw on the spring which
damps the needle and I planned on putting my electronic tach on the
engine, then fiddling with the screw to try and get a accurate reading.

Any warnings since I don't want to have to try and find and buy a new
tach.

Thanks

Paul g. Wiegman
Pittsburgh, PA