Re: Brake Tools & Cyl Hones for Spitfire

To: triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: Brake Tools & Cyl Hones for Spitfire
From: "Doug Mitchell" <dmitchel@ford.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 1995 06:53:05 -0400 "triumphs@autox.team.net digest #8 Thu Oct 12 02:35:02 MDT 1995" (Oct 12, 2:35am)
Cc: sean_johnson@milacron.com
On Wed, 11 Oct 95 7:26:24 Sean wrote:

> I was installing a new set of rear wheel cylinders and shoes on my Spitfire
> last night, and realized I don't have the square wrench for the brake
> adjusters.  After struggling forever to get all those *&%$ springs back in
> place, I was too tired to try and wing it with the vise grips-Probably a wise
> decision.
>
> In the interests of using the right tool for the job: Is the wrench for the
> adjuster something standard I can pick up at Sears, or is it some oddball
> size?  What size is it?

The adjuster is 1/4 inch. In the past, I have used a 1/4 inch eight point
socket. Snap-On sells a 1/4 inch four point socket. However, someone on
this list made a good suggestion a few months back. Buy a 3/8 inch socket
with a 1/4 inch drive. Put this on your 3/8 inch ratchet, and use the 1/4
inch end to adjust the brakes. I haven't tried it yet, but I see no reason
why it shouldn't work. I still think that I want to get the Snap-On socket,
but I haven't been able to flag down a Snap-On truck. ;)

> Also, I had to scrap a couple of rear wheel cylinders that were probably
> saveable because I don't have a cylinder hone small enough to do something
> only 1/2" in diameter.  Does anyone know where I can get a small cylinder
> hone?  I haven't had any luck at the local auto stores.

I am sure that Snap-On or Mac Tools probably sell a hone in this size.

> Thanks in advance for answers,
>
> Sean Johnson
> '75 Spitfire (so close to being back on the road)

Doug Mitchell
'73 Spitfire - The Grape