Re[2]: GT6 tuning help needed

To: kehanson@fdic.gov_at_smtpgate@ccm.hf.intel.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: GT6 tuning help needed
From: Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 95 11:28:00 PDT
Text item:

/I learned a long time ago to do one thing at a time.  Hard to pinpoint your
/problem as you have worked on the distributor and carbs.  These problems
/often inter-relate.

/Off hand guess is that your timing is off.  Still too late. Try running it
/with the vacuum retard disconnected and plugged.  That is really a pollution
/control device for idle purposes (I believe).

I'll try this, seems like it should be a quickie.  This should advance the
timing quite a bit, but I should be able to advance the timing until it pings,
correct?

Also, should the retard unit be diconnected when setting to the factory spec?
I think it should, but the manual implies the opposite and then the timing
would be retarded even more when re-connected.

/Also, check you mechanical advance for free movement(i.e. not binding....also
/these generally should NOT be oiled).

Why the oil hole then, or is this just for shaft lubrication?  I assumed it
would be ok since the distributor is brand new.

/How much trouble would it be to return to your original neddle valves?  If
/you can satisfy yourself that the problem is just in the distributor it is
/a hell of a lot easier to correct.

Easy if I fix the needle clip.  How do I keep these things from falling off?
The ones from Apple have a small screw driven through the barrel and ground
off to permanently hold the needle in place.

/Also, the tendency to run hot and the idle variation smells of distributor,
/timing AND vacuum leaks.

I didn't have the idle problem before I did the work, so I'm kind of doubting
it's vacuum leak.

Good luck!

Thanks!!
Mike