Re: GT6 tuning help needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: GT6 tuning help needed
From: egilk@oslonett.no (Egil Kvaleberg)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 22:06:29 +0200
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
In article <Mon, 23 Oct 95 10:44:08 PDT_2@ccm.hf.intel.com>,
Mike A Gendimenico <Mike_A_Gendimenico@ccm.sc.intel.com> wrote:

> adjusted the mixture to a very light blue on the colortune.  Seems like
> I couldn't get it any richer than that.  Took it for a test ride.  Not
> enough power starting from a dead stop and the top end doesn't seemm to
> be there either.  Also, ran pretty crappy when cold.  Lots of carb
> backfiring, ocassionally once it warmed up. Also when it (the engine)
> would get hot, the idle would creep up to ~1800 rpm.  Drove the car a
> week to work like this.
> Cleaned and gapped the plugs to 0.025",
> they're  running white/very light brown color.

All your clues (light blue, crappy when cold, backfiring, white
plugs) all *clearly* point in one direction: The mixture is too lean.

Are you sure you've got the correct needles? Compare them to the
originals. If they're thicker, you'll get a leaner mix. Be a little
careful so that you don't burn pistons (A stock engine would perhaps
manage, but a lean mix is death for a "hot" engine).

What are these 'performance' needles anyway? I can't see the point
of a needle change without a change in other factors, such as cam or
exhaust headers.

I suggest you return to stock needles.

> Re-adjusted the points
> to ~0.016", and changed the timing with the vacuum unit hooked up from
> 4 ATDC to TDC. Dwell reads 32 degrees, should be 42??

The dwell will really only be important at high RPM, assuming the basic
timing is correct. I don't think ignition timing is your basic problem.

Egil

--
Email: egilk@oslonett.no  Voice: +47 22523641/92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway