driving lights

To: STEVMAN@aol.com
Subject: driving lights
From: "Chris Kantarjiev" <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 10:51:50 -0700
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
I went through this on my 4A; I fabbed up some brackets to attach to the
overriders bolts, but didn't like this - the wide placement interfered with the
headlights, and there is a clearance problem with the bonnet when it's open (I
didn't realize this until it was almost too late). This may be less of a
problem on the 6 with its wider headlamp placement.

I ended up drilling the bumper.

I also spent a fair bit of effort upgrading my wiring (fuses, relays, etc) at
the same time. If you *really* want driving lights (that is, brighter high
beams), you can save yourself mounting trouble by getting a good set of H4
headlamps (I like Cibie Z beams a lot, love Marchal "flat face" but can't
afford them, and am now experimenting with a cheap flat face lamp from JC
Whitney), install a relay in the high beam circuit, and run 55/100 bulbs. No
drilling, no change in appearance; if you're clever, you can slip a fused relay
into the dip switch harness without much fuss (I used the fused Marchal relay -
it'll still be working when the car has rusted away).

If you want *fog* lamps, I would make the same recommendation first: get some Z
beams and see if they handle your problem. If not, they you'll want a good set
that will mount *under* the bumper, and do the wiring right.