RE: driving lights and alternators

To: "'triumphs'" <triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu>
Subject: RE: driving lights and alternators
From: Tom Gentry <TGENTR@wgc.woodward.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 95 13:30:00 PDT
Encoding: 20 TEXT

<<(I like Cibie Z beams a lot, love Marchal "flat face" but can't
<<afford them, and am now experimenting with a cheap flat face lamp from JC
<<Whitney)

I use a pair of Carello H4s that I got from TRF as a winter sale premium.
 Decent quality, with a VERY sharp upper beam cutoff on low beam (this works
well in fog).  I'm not using the higher wattage bulbs yet, mainly due to
mistrust of my 24 year old alternator/voltage regulator.

Does anyone have experience with the aftermarket "one wire" type
alternator/regulators?  It seems like it might be a quick, easy upgrade (my
apologies to the purists).  My car is far from stock and getting farther all
the time so reliability and price are my main considerations.

Tom Gentry
72 TR-6 OD
Rockford, IL
TGENTR@WGC.WOODWARD.COM