Re: plonka fore shore

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: plonka fore shore
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 20:56:01 -0400
Hey Bruce,
Just want to second your scorn for the Haynes manuals, I've used them for
the TR-250, my commuter AMC/Renault (Kenosha's finest), and wifey's Isuzu
pickup, and the common thread seems to be: try it their way, and then try
some other way that'll actually work. I spent all Saturday with my buddy
in his machine/tool shop trying to re-assemble a Renault CV joint that
Haynes showed could be done with just a long screwdriver. Not in this life-
time, boys. They also instructed us to use a ball-joint separator to pull
a tie-rod end...not necessary at all...ditto removing the brake caliper...
and after we gave up and took the CV core in for a rebuilt CV/axle, the
man at the counter said,"no way to rebuild that at home".  We said, Thanks
a lot Haynes, for having us bark up the wrong tree for hours & hours. It
sounds like you've had similar experiences; I could supply a few more, but
anymore I just use the Haynes for the exploded drawings, forget the text,
and DO NOT assume that the labels match the pictures or operations des-
cribed! Well enough griping, time for a good see-gar.
Tom Tweed
TR-250
Enfield .303
Olde English `800'