Re: TR4 A windscreen wiper motor lube

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 A windscreen wiper motor lube
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 22:57:45 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 15 May 1996, Tom Leake wrote:

> I was reviewing the Bently manual on Windscreen wiper gearbox,
> of course I have done this only after disassembling the motor and
> gearbox.  It states that the gearbox should be partially filled with a
> compound called,  Ragosine Listate grease,  does anyone have any idea
> what this translates to in products that are easiliy accessable in the  US
> and in our day and age.
>
> I called the TRF tech line for kicks and the response was (I'm not kidding)
> "Ragosine Listate is a grease that was readily available to British Leyland
> Dealers".
> I looked about the my shelf full of various lubes and decided on
> Lubriplate, unless someone can point me to a better product.  Anyone
> aware of a better product for this.  Like one of the new synthetics?

The "Lubriplate" brand name covers a broad range of lubricants, so it's
hard to say whether the one yoy pulled off your shelf is suitable.

Any good high-temperature lithium-based grease should be OK.  If it's
waterproof, so much the better.  Another possibility is the grease sold
for use in the gear casings of electric tools (drills, saws, etc.), since
the requirements are similar.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.