Re: TR6 Engine number/wire wheels

To: John Bertsche <103136.3056@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: TR6 Engine number/wire wheels
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 3 Jun 1996 11:52:53 -0900 (PDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On 1 Jun 1996, John Bertsche wrote:

> Three quick questions:
> 1) My 69 TR6  CC28037 has an engine # CC28256HE. I think it said in the
>Bentley
> manual that the "H" stood for high compression, but I heard from someone else
> that this was meaningless since the engine # is on the block, but it's the
> thickness of the head that determines compression ratio (unless some TR6's had
> different pistons?) . What's the real deal? I tested the compression and got
>170
> pounds on all 6 cylinders.

The "H" does refer to high compression, as the engine was built and the
car delivered from the factory. A different head or pistons could
change that status later on, of course. ;-)

> 2) In all the talk about tires, I didn't see anyone mention whether or not you
> could use any of the wider/lower profile sizes (seems like 205/70/15 was the
> popular favorite) with wire wheels. It might seem stupid, but I think wire
> wheels look really cool and they're a lot easier to take off and put on than
> disc wheels.

I don't remember how wide TR6 wire wheels are (5.5"?); that would be the
primary determination as to whether or not low profile tires would fit,
and the tire dealer should be able to tell you how wide a wheel is
required for a given tire. Remember, of course, you'll likely need tubes
in whatever tire you mount on a wire wheel.

> 3)In case I have to use disc wheels after all, do I have to change the wheel
> studs?

Yes, you do, as the disc wheel studs are LONGER.

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *